Tuesday, August 14, 2012

First Impressions

Ramadan: I came during Ramadan so things are probably not like they usually are. Some shops are closed during the day since everyone is fasting and are at home, conserving energy. At sundown, the streets are finally empty enough to walk freely without the fear of getting honked at and run over simultaneously because everyone is breaking fast. At night, people are out and about. The shopping mall is packed at 1am and its a madhouse in the grocery store. I can't tell how much it really affects me- as long as I stay away from grocery shopping at midnight unlike tonight.


Prices: Some things are surprisingly more expensive here than I thought they would be. Like, shower curtains. 100 EGP ($18) for a pretty vinyl shower curtain (cheapest: $10). Some things are more expensive than they would be in the states and most things are cheaper but considering my penny pinching ways at home, I have to shell out a lot more than I normally do.

Weather: It is definitely not as hot as I expected. It's a dry heat but there's a good breeze usually that makes it very bearable, even in my usual jeans, tank top, cardigan getup.

Transportation: While I will probably be walking a lot here, it's certainly not to save money. A taxi ride to most places in Maadi is about 5 EGP which is less than a dollar. I do want to try to familiarize myself with the streets and get some exercise by walking, even if that means I'm getting honked at by taxis the whole way.

Apartments: Apartments, even the nice ones, are usually not up to American standards in terms of construction quality and furnishings. My apartment, for example, looks nice for afar but once you get up close to the seat cushions or cabinets, things are a little shabby. Things break easily and painting/grouting is sloppy. An Egyptians idea of clean also doesn't match up. I spent an entire day scrubbing away at an apartment that was just cleaned.



Expats: I was told that most expats are teachers, maybe 80%, and the rest are oil and embassy guys. Most are members of expat clubs, like the ACE club.It's a club in a sense that you have to be a member and only those holding foreign passports can join. It's a place where expats can go and feel like they're not in Egypt. You will not see any Egyptians (unless they hold duel citizenship) and you can wear anything you please.  You can have food, beer and shisha at a good price. The food is really good and the portions are humongous ("American-sized!").

Spaghetti Bolognese - the only thing I ate today.
The area where I live, Maadi, is concentrated with expats so many shopkeepers speak English. It is a nice suburb of Cairo with lush greenery. Things can also be more expensive but it's a give and take thing.
-----------------------------------------------
The airline had lost another teacher's luggage earlier this month and she told us it came at 1am. I was like, "Sheesh!" but my doorbell rang at 3:30am last night and I was like, "Holy moly- no way!"
Standing there was my bowab and five suitcases. Ten minutes later come the angry airport man who yelled at me to tip him. He could've had all my money. I just wanted the angry man outta my apartment.

I can live very comfortably here. I knew that. There are times when it will be frustrating but in the large scope of things, I have it pretty good. I just have to keep reminding myself that....

No comments:

Post a Comment