Tuesday, August 28, 2012

First Day of School

The vacation had to end sometime. Today we saw the school for the first time. It was beautiiiiful. Of course, I had the first day jitters so I didn't get any rest and suffered from a headache all day but I was still snapping away to capture the day's events. The kids do not come in for another two weeks but we have staff development and orientation (and classroom decorating) on the agenda until then.

7:25 Pickup by the no-longer-magic school bus 

Rachel and her bodybag full of books!

Reception area. Holy cow, right?

Meet n' Greet

Garden area for the kiddies

The lunchroom. Pretty swanky, huh?

Swimming Pool

Raymond, the principal, gave us the grand tour.

I know where I'll be in between lessons. Pumpin' iron.

Unfinished but imagine kids vaulting in school. 

Saved the best for last- my classroom! 

I'll start decorating tomorrow. My assistant for the year is a wonderful Arabic girl who speaks great English (and French). Crossing my fingers for a productive, enjoyable, memorable year!

5 comments:

  1. So I decided to get a google account so I could post comments! I'm so unbelievably proud of you! You are a strong and intelligent woman, these students are lucky to have you as a teacher and are going to lean so much from you, as well and you from them . I cannot wait to see the classroom evolve over the year. Lots of luck during PD, and I KNOW you are going to do fantabulous throughout this school year. Love you a million. Xx

    Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have a busy year ahead of you but if we can make the penpal thing work, I know my kids would be all over it! Maybe a back and forth picture blog or something.

      I will take some pictures of the classroom next week. It's weird decorating a classroom with limited resources. I may make my own borders or go hunting for them tomorrow! There's rumors of a laminating machine nearby too :)

      Wish you were here with me...

      Delete
  2. holy cow! how is this school so nice!? Much luck this year, cousin! I hope you have oodles of fun and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me want to teach in Egypt. Way nicer than the Bronx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew a school like this even existed, let alone in Egypt?! I even clock in and out using a fingerprint scanner! So excited/nervous.

    ReplyDelete