Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Digs

So I feel like I have settled in by now. I can walk from place to place without getting lost and I am used to cars brushing up alongside of me as I'm walking. My apartment is in a part of Maadi that seems to be more family-oriented. There are no hole-in-the-wall restaurants or open air markets on this side of town.

It's a three-bedroom apartment that is painfully white and "modern". The pictures of the apartment I was given in NY matched up to the actual apartment- except for the kitchen. I didn't get the updated kitchen with wood cabinets I was expecting. No, my kitchen is green and beige with plastic cabinets- not that I should be complaining  It's still much nicer than anything I was expecting to get in Egypt!

Washer/Dryer. Big step up from washing my clothes in a trash bin in Vietnam!



En Suite bathroom. Spoiled!

My balcony that I wanted so badly.

The orphanage compound across the street.

At first I questioned why all the buildings were the color of sand. The city is a sea of beige. But after living here for a while, I realized they could make the buildings lime green and they would still end up being covered in sand. Everything is covered in sand. I have given up cleaning my apartment. I have given up caring about my shoes. 

If I had a car here, I would buy a beige colored one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment